Sports in the News

NFL Season ready to kick off

On Thursday, Sept. 4, the reigning Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks will host the Green Bay Packers at CenturyLink Field to kick off the NFL season. Only seven teams in NFL history have won back-to-back championships; the last team to do so was the 2004 and 2005 New England Patriots. Led under head coach Pete Carroll, the core of Seattle’s roster is back and is considered to be this season’s Super Bowl favourite. One of the biggest off-season stories was star-rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel and whether or not he would be given the starting job in Cleveland. The Cleveland Browns, who have been a dismal franchise for the past two decades, have chosen to start veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer instead.

Wildcard spots still up for grabs

With less than a month of the regular season left, the fight to the finish in baseball couldn’t be closer. As of Friday, in the American League, five teams are in contention to win the final two wildcard spots. While the Oakland Athletics have a 5 1/2 game cushion, the Detroit Tigers and the Seattle Mariners are tied for the second wildcard with records of 72-60. Right behind them are the New York Yankees and the Cleveland Indians. The Yankees are three games behind Detroit and Seattle, while the Indians are just four games out. In the National League, The St. Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants hold the final two playoff spots. Trailing them however are the Atlanta Braves, who sit 1 1/2 games back, and the Pittsburgh Pirates, who are two games behind.

Als finally find a win

It took nine games but the Montreal Alouettes finally found their second win of the season to improve their record to 2-7. The Als hosted the Ottawa Redblacks on Friday night at the McGill Stadium and managed to pull out a 20-10 victory. Als quarterback Jonathan Crompton went 15 for 25 in the passing game while throwing for 245 yards and an interception. The best player on the field was Als receiver Duron Carter who hauled in five catches that accumulated for 127 yards. It has been a crushing season for the Als and their fans as they try to cope in a post-Calvillo era. Despite their record, the Als remain in the mix for top spot in the East Division. As of Sunday, East teams have a combined record of 7-20.