ASFA asks for per credit fee levy increase

November by-elections to fill VP Academic & Loyola, VP External positions

The Arts and Science Federation of Associations will be asking students to increase its per credit fee levy by 0.38 cents as of winter 2015.

At a special council meeting held Oct. 23, ASFA voted to put the question to a referendum during a by-election to be held Nov. 25-27.

This proposed increase was put forward by ASFA’s Financial Committee in order to offset the increased expenditures of the federation on services and Member Association budgets.

ASFA represents almost 15,000 undergraduate students and currently receives a fee levy of $1.22 per credit. While it represents the most students of any other faculty association, with the Commerce and Administration Student Association coming closest at just over 7,000, it receives the smallest levy. CASA receives $2.35, the Engineering and Computer Science Association receives $2.00 and the Fine Arts Student Alliance, representing only 3,700 students, gets $1.35.

This year, ASFA has budgeted a deficit of $61,690—an increase from last fiscal year’s $57,977 deficit. The federation cites financial restructuring, increase of costs and additional services as the reason for the budget imbalance.

While ASFA is not in a position where it is unable to continue its operations, the federation’s bylaws state that the year-end cash balance must be $150,000 or more.

The referendum question, approved by ASFA reads as follows: “Do you agree to increase ASFA’s per credit fee levy by $0.38 to a total of $1.60 per credit, effective starting in the winter 2015 semester (January 2015)?”

In addition to voting on the fee levy increase question, the by-election will also see the vacant positions of VP External and VP Academic & Loyola filled.