From school to the slopes

CSSC gives students a chance to visit the hills while staying on a budget

Do you love skiing or snowboarding? Need to escape the city?  On a tight budget? If so, it’s time to check out the Concordia’s Ski & Snowboarding Club (CSSC).

The CSSC offers students the chance to snag a deal on ski passes for their daily and weekend trips. All travel arrangements are included and after every day, the CSSC provides students with a chance to unwind and make some new friends at their Après Ski parties.

The CSSC is dedicated to offering affordable ski and snowboarding trips to students. There is no membership fee to participate in the club. However, you do have to sign up in order to purchase your tickets online. The club is open to all Concordia students and members can also bring friends, regardless if they go to Concordia or not. With the purchase of your ticket you get a full day out on the slope as well as a seat on the bus to and from the hill.

If you want to go but are lacking the equipment, the club also gets discount rates on rentals at the hill.

If you want to ensure your spot on the next trip, sign up early because the CSSC trips sell fast. On average, they get 50 to 100 students per event. Some of their more popular trips are across the border. Their last trip to Sugarbush on Jan. 24 was completely sold out. “We have many members eager to ski in the U.S.,” says Hannah Townsend, CSSC co-president.

The next available U.S. trip is to Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont.

“We always have a huge turnout for this event, so do not hesitate to get tickets,” she continued.

If students aren’t looking to go too far, they also have trips to hills here in Quebec. Their most recent local trip was to Sutton on Sunday, Feb. 1 that only cost students $55 round-trip.

In the past, Spring Break has always been a prime time to organize a trip, however this year, nothing is planned yet.

“As of right now we do not have a ski trip organized,” says Townsend. “However we are open to suggestions and always take into consideration the demand for trips.”

If skiing and snowboarding isn’t your thing they will be organizing a social event during the break, which is open to everyone.

Check out their Facebook page, Concordia Ski & Snowboard Club, for more info. You can also check out their website surfthesnow.org to sign up and purchase your tickets online.