Enlighten your night at the Gardens of Light

The more soothing side of the Gardens. Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

Immerse yourself in the lanterns and lights of the Montréal Botanical Garden

There is much pleasure to be found in strolling underneath beautiful lights and decorations, immersing yourself in nature and a pleasant ambience. Perhaps this is not a regular occurrence in urban life, but I felt it when I visited The Gardens of Light show at the Montréal Botanical Garden this week.

The louder, more decorative lighting found in the exhibit. Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

The Gardens of Light exhibit is made up of two decoratively lit, Asian-themed gardens—the Chinese Garden and the Japanese Garden, with lanterns being the star of the show. I ventured to the Chinese Garden first. Pale-blue lanterns with painted watercolor clouds lit a path leading me into a Zhuang Village in Guangxi. Large lanterns shaped like animals and Chinese figures were also on display. I walked up to a grand entrance that reminded me of the Emperor of China’s palace from Disney’s Mulan. The sheer size of the gate itself was amazing and was lit with small white fairy lights and royal red lanterns of varying sizes. A tall structure called the “Tower of Condensing Clouds” stood behind a wide lake that had lantern displays floating across the surface of the water.

My favourite lantern tableau was in the middle of the lake; lanterns shaped like waves carried a warrior on his horse, who was being chased by a sea creature that looked like a seahorse mixed with a lion. It was the biggest and brightest lantern scene on the water and probably in the entire show. The only word I can think of to describe the Chinese Garden is “fantastical.” The vibrant colours of the lanterns, balanced perfectly with the traditional-style Chinese structures.

The Japanese Garden had a completely different vibe altogether and it was the exact opposite of the Chinese Garden. The exhibit took place in the back garden of a Japanese-style home. I had to walk through this beautifully simple home, tatami mats and all, to the wide open garden where nature seemed to be the focal point. “The Zone of Contemplation” was a larger patch of grass where guests could sit and relax while admiring the ponds, waterfalls and streams. A small forest of very tall, thin trees echoed the soft sound of bells and running water. The garden was very calm and pale-coloured lights reflected on the trees and waterfalls.

The whole thing felt, dare I say, zen. I liked the Japanese Garden more than the Chinese one. There was something about the energy and spirit of that garden that made me more comfortable. The Chinese Garden was lovely and the lantern displays were unlike anything I had ever seen, but the Japanese Garden was simple yet remarkably impressive—and there was something luxurious about it. I could easily see myself spending a whole day there, walking through the garden, reading a book in the “Zone of Contemplation” and just enjoying some relaxing alone time, away from the bustle of the city and getting more in tune with nature and myself.

The Gardens of Light will be available to see at the Montréal Botanical Garden until Nov. 1. I highly suggest going at night, when the lanterns and lights are at their prime.