Spartan Locke and Master Chief go head-to-head

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

Halo 5: Guardians can potentially be one of the best games in its series

On Oct. 27, 343 Industries will be releasing Halo 5: Guardians, the latest installment in the series, which 343 has promised to be one of the biggest Master Chief stories yet.

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.
Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

For those who don’t know, Halo is one of the most successful franchises in the history of first-person shooters, according to Video Game Charts, a business intelligence and research firm. It was one of Microsoft’s first exclusive titles and has gained an immense following across the world. In 2012, 343 Industries took over production from Bungie Studios and released Halo 4, which was the first installment in a new trilogy of games. Halo 5: Guardians will be the second game in this trilogy.

The story will surround two distinct groups of characters, something that has never been done in a Halo game. On one side you will have Master Chief, who is a staple of the franchise, and on the other side is Spartan Jameson Locke.

Spartan Locke is a new character: he is the leader of Spartan team Osiris and has been tasked with capturing Master Chief, who is wanted by the UNSC after going AWOL. Master Chief, on the other hand, is unaware of this as he is currently working with Blue Team, a group of Spartans that are a major part of his origin story.

Master Chief’s story takes place a short while after the events of Halo 4. Fans can expect to see Master Chief searching for answers about the death of his A.I. companion Cortana while fighting the new breed of Prometheans he awoke at the beginning of Halo 4. With Blue Team fighting alongside him, Master Chief will no longer be the lone wolf character that fans have known him to be. Both Master Chief’s and Spartan Locke’s stories are intertwined and will both be playable.

Halo 5: Guardians will also be revamping its multiplayer in order to attract both competitive and casual gamers. In the game’s Arena multiplayer mode, 343 Industries plans to release more competitive game modes that include a more skill-based ranking system. Gamers will be able to enjoy all of the classic modes as well as a brand new game type called Warzone. This new game type lets players face-off against other user-controlled opponents and even enemy A.I in a bid to score the most points. This game mode will also include 12 vs 12 matchmaking which has never been done in a Halo game.

The game’s campaign demo was a crowd-pleaser at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo, a gaming event where industries debut new games. Ever since the multiplayer Beta last January, fans have been begging for more. For those who love the game, Halo 5: Guardians is looking like a must-have and possibly even one of the best games in the franchise.