Sports in the news

Final MLB playoff picture

The MLB playoffs begin this week and the teams fighting for their chance to grab the World Series title are all set.

The National league will be represented by division champions Los Angeles Dodgers, the Saint Louis Cardinals and the New York Mets, while the wild-card game will feature the Chicago Cubs taking on the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Cubs and Mets will make their first post-season appearance since 2008 and 2006 respectively. For the Cubs, they look to end their long time championship drought which has them without a world series title since 1908. In the American League, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers have all won their respective divisions. Wild-card spots are occupied by the New York Yankees and the Houston Astros. While many hope to see the Blue Jays make it to the World Series and bring home the hardware, fans of the game can certainly hope to see a Subway Series between the Yankees and Mets.

Champions league headlines

Robert Lewandowski grabbed the attention of the soccer world when he managed to put up five goals in the span of nine minutes two weeks ago. Last week, in a Champions League matchup against Dinamo Zagreb, he made headlines again. The striker netted a hat trick in the European championship group stage. This individual performance was the foundation of a 5-0 rout of the opposition and along with a Week One clean sheet Bayern is poised to make yet another run for the championship.

Jordan Spieth, PGA Player of the Year.

Twenty two-year-old Jordan Spieth finished the golf season with a victory at the Tour Championship. This final victory capped off the PGA’s version of their playoff championship, The FedEx cup. To go along with this title Spieth won two majors, not to mention and abundance of top 10 finishes. While more recent wins from close runner up Jason Day gave some individuals doubt in the Player of the Year title, Spieth was simply too dominant to create any sort of lasting debate. Spieth’s season as a whole was reminiscent to many fans of the years that Tiger Woods would dominate the field.