Sports in the News

Habs start the season undefeated

The Montreal Canadiens started the season with an undefeated record of 6-0—a first for the team. According to NHL.com, players like Max Pacioretty and Thomas Plekanec are already some of the top scorers in the league with nine goals between them. Alex Galchenyuk found his rhythm at center and has been put on a line with newly acquired winger Alex Semin and Lars Eller. All four lines have been clicking and the defense has been solid throughout the first six games. NHL.com’s stats page shows that goaltender Carey Price has allowed five goals in five games and is one of the leaders in the league. With the 6-0 start, the Habs sit atop the league as best team in the NHL.

ALCS and NLCS playoffs

This past week, the MLB playoffs rolled on with the Blue Jays taking on the Kansas City Royals in the ALCS, while the New York Mets take on the Chicago Cubs in the NLCS. In order to get to the ALCS, the Toronto Blue Jays were up against the Texas Rangers, a team that they beat in a thrilling five-game series. The other ALCS team, the Kansas City Royals, had to defeat the Houston Astros, a feat they accomplished in five games as well. The first of the NLCS teams, the Chicago Cubs, beat the St-Louis Cardinals in four games while the New York Mets defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers in five. As of Sunday night, The New York Mets have a two game lead on the Cubs while the Royals have a two game lead on the Jays. The winner of each matchup will play the World Series.

NFL teams still undefeated

Six weeks into the NFL season, the New England Patriots, the Green Bay Packers, the Cincinatti Bengals, the Denver Broncos and the Carolina Panthers remain undefeated. Both the Patriots and Panthers have played five games while the others have played six. This weekend, the Packers maintained their undefeated status by defeating the San Diego Chargers by a score of 27-20. The Broncos improved to 6-0 after defeating the Cleveland Browns 26-23 in a tight overtime game, while the Patriots went to 5-0 after beating the Indianapolis Colts 34-27. The Cincinatti Bengals, who have surprised everyone this season, beat the Buffalo Bills 34-21 and sit undefeated atop the AFC North. While the last of the undefeated teams, the Carolina Panthers, edged out the Seattle Seahawks 27-23 to improve to 5-0.