Miller and Rajotte named season MVPs

Some of the Stingers best players are now among the RSEQ’s most valuable

American-born quarterback Trenton Miller of the Concordia Stingers was awarded the Jeff Russel Memorial Trophy on Nov. 13 which is a honour given to the most outstanding player in the RSEQ division.

Stingers quarterback Trenton Miller makes a rush against the Carabins. Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

“It feels great, but I want everyone to feel great about it because Concordia is a family and when someone wins an award, we all do,” Miller said

Miller is now the Quebec representative for the Hec Crighton Trophy which is given to the best player in the CIS. Miller is the second Concordia Stingers athlete to win Quebec MVP honours this fall as Stingers women’s rugby third-year center Frédérique Rajotte captured the RSEQ MVP award last month.

Miller, a native of Buffalo, New York, dazzled the RSEQ division this season after leading the Stingers to a 4-4 record. He is the fourth Concordia Stinger player to win the award and the first since quarterback Scott Syvret won it in 2005.

In his first season in Canada, Miller led the RSEQ in passing with 2,384 yards and 20 touchdown passes. He also completed 204 passes which was second-best in the CIS. Miller was able to break the Stingers record for most touchdowns and completions in a season which belonged to former Stinger quarterback Rob Mackay. Miller played in all eight games this season but only started in six.

Miller said that his favourite moment from the season was when the Stingers clinched a playoff berth against their rivals, the McGill Redmen, on a last-second 30-yard field goal by Keegan Treloar.

“The celebration on the field was pretty special and something I’ll never forget,” Miller said.

Miller is in his first year as an MBA student at the John Molson School of Business, which is something he admits is quite difficult when combined with football.

“It’s more of a thing where you just have to do it, don’t complain and just get your work done. No excuses,” Miller said.

The Stingers ended their season with a playoff loss to the Laval Rouge et Or. Miller will now head to Quebec City for the CIS awards ceremony to see if he wins the Hec Crighton Trophy. He will be up against Calgary Dinos quarterback Andrew Buckley who captured it last year, as well as St. Francis Xavier running back Ashton Dickson and Western Mustangs quarterback Will Finch.

Rajotte, who won the MVP award for women’s rugby, is a third-year communications major and a native of Markham, Ontario. Rajotte led the Stingers to a 6-1 record this season and became the second straight Stingers player to win MVP. Last year it was Alex Tessier who took home the coveted prize.

“I feel extremely honored and proud to be a part of the Stinger family and receiving this award,” Rajotte said. “I have to give credit to my teammates. We’ve had an unbelievable season together.

Rajotte’s season is still not over as her and her teammate Tessier will be touring England in December as members of Team Canada.