The Concordian takes away two national awards

Third consecutive win in photo of the year category

The Concordian took home two awards at the 12th annual John H. McDonald Awards this Saturday evening, including one third consecutive photo of the year award.

Former photography editor Andrej Ivanov and copy editor and former editor-in-chief Nathalie Laflamme received their awards at the JHM Gala in Toronto during the 78th annual Canadian University Press Nash conference. The awards celebrate the best journalism from student publications across Canada.

Ivanov’s photo, “student protest turns violent,” won the photo of the year award. The image was first published online at The Concordian on April 3, 2015. This is Ivanov’s second consecutive photo of the year award: at the 77th annual JMH Awards, his photo “missing, murdered, mourned” also took the top prize. At the 2013 awards ceremony, former photography editor Keith Race won the same award for his photo “anti-police brutality march.”

The feature article of the year award was awarded to Laflamme for her story “helping student veterans succeed and survived,” published in issue 26 of The Concordian on April 14, 2015. Her article told the story of the Concordia Veterans Association which, at the time, was the only veteran associations existing on Canadian university campuses.

Fellow Concordia student paper The Link also took home the award for best website (for newspapers with resources over $150,000) and received six other nominations.