The top eight Stingers moments of 2015

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

Looking back at the best games and memories from the last season of Concordia sports

The 2015 season was a fantastic year for Concordia’s teams and its athletes.

Wide receiver Jeremy Mogni celebrates the Stingers playoff berth. Photo by Andrej Ivanov.

Several of the teams picked up huge wins over big opponents, while a few athletes picked up impressive accolades. Among the award-winning athletes were Stingers quarterback Trenton Miller and women’s rugby centre Frédérique Rajotte who both won RSEQ MVP honours in their respective sports.

Without further ado, here are the top eight moments from the 2015 season.

8. Stingers quarterback Trenton Miller wins the RSEQ MVP. Miller led the RSEQ in passes as he threw for 20 touchdowns and passed for 2384 yards this season. He became the first Stingers player to get the MVP honors since former quarterback Scott Syvret won it in 2005. 

7. Frédérique Rajotte, third-year center on the women’s rugby team, wins the RSEQ MVP. She had 12 tries in seven games. Rajotte continued the trend of Stingers women’s rugby players winning the award. Last season, it was third-year center Alex Tessier who won MVP honors.

Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.
Graphic by Charlotte Bracho.

6. The women’s hockey team defeated the Université de Montréal Carabins 1-0. The Carabins were ranked No. 1 in the CIS top 10 poll at the time. This was also the first victory for interim head coach Julie Chu.

5. The men’s basketball team won the Concordia Classic tournament for the first time since 2010. The team defeated the UPEI Panthers 82-70 on Oct. 10 to clinch the championship. The tournament championship was important because it gave the team momentum during the first half of the season as they finished with a record of 9-4.

4. The women’s basketball team had the rare opportunity to host the defending CIS champions Windsor Lancers in a preseason tilt at home on Oct. 16. The Stingers pulled the upset by beating the Lancers 70-63. They scored 40 points in the first half, which played a huge role in the win. The Stingers last win against the Lancers was on Dec. 29 of 2012.

3. This season, the women’s rugby team advanced to the CIS nationals for the first time since 2012. The team only had two losses in the regular season, both of which were against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees, including one in the RSEQ championship game. The Rugby team ended up finishing fourth at the CIS national championship after they lost to the Gee-Gees in the bronze medal game.

2. The Stingers men’s hockey team hosted the Windsor Lancers on the weekend of Oct. 16 and 17. The Stingers had not beaten the Lancers since November of 2006. The Stingers lost the first game with a score of 6-5. The following day, the Stingers finally beat the Lancers 6-5 in a thrilling shootout.

1. The Stingers football team went to the Percival Molson Memorial Stadium to play the McGill Redmen on Oct. 24. The winner of the game would get the last remaining spot in the RSEQ playoffs. The Stingers were in full control of the game and had a huge lead for the majority of  the match. The Redmen ended up taking a 41-40 lead with two minutes left. Stingers quarterback Trenton Miller led the Stingers offense down the field for 70 yards. This led to Stingers kicker Keegan Treloar kicking a 30-yard field goal to win the game.  While the Stingers lost the first game of the playoffs, this game will never be forgotten.