Gourmet doughnuts for your sweet tooth

Léché Desserts offers gourmet doughnuts in a variety of classic flavours to over-the-top ones. Photo by Melissa Martella.

Léché Desserts offers unique doughnut flavour combinations for ultimate foodies

The gourmet doughnut craze has gained popularity over the last year or so. There are a few gourmet doughnut shops in Montreal and I finally found the one that all you lovelies need to try.

Léché Desserts is a bakery and coffee shop located in St-Henri, a 10 minute walk from the metro station with the same name. The bakery opened three years ago, and it was the vision of the owner, Josie Weitzenbauer, for the bakery to specialize in gourmet and unique doughnuts.

Besides doughnuts, Léché  Desserts has a variety of other pastries and savoury selections. I went with the intent of focusing on the doughnuts and trying as many as I could. Of course I could not do this alone; luckily my friend Paige was excited to come along for the ride.

Despite the quaint size of the bakery, there’s a decent amount of sitting space and tables if you’d rather sit than take your treats to go. Fairy lights hang from visible pipes, and the menu is written on three chalk boards. Brick walls surround the bakery and I got the vibe of an old fire station. It felt comfortable and intimate.

I won’t lie, we went crazy. So crazy because we decided to get all eight of the different kinds of doughnuts plus some extras. There are a few classics flavours, including the cinnamon sugar and honey glaze doughnuts. They were simple and light without an overwhelming flavour.

My top favourites, going from third favourite to absolute favourite goes as follows. The maple bacon doughnut was really good. There was a great balance between the sweet maple glaze and the saltiness of the bacon that I loved. The combination of flavours worked really well. The raspberry filled doughnut was the bomb. I have never had a filled doughnut that had so much jelly filling. It spilled out as I cut the doughnut. The jelly was a perfect sweet-but-not-too-sweet and you could see tiny seeds which made me believe that it wasn’t super processed fruit jelly.

Finally, my favourite of all was the lime and coconut doughnut. The dough tasted like a classic Beaver Tail. Also, it was vegan!

My least favourite of them all was probably the passion fruit doughnut, based on the smell alone. The name sounds promising, but the taste was odd. The dough was moist but acidic tasting. The grapefruit poppy seed is the next one I really didn’t like. Paige said it best: “My mouth has just been assaulted.”

The last one that I didn’t enjoy was the white chocolate mousse doughnut. White chocolate mousse isn’t my thing. However, there was an incredible amount of mousse in the doughnut. That gets major points.

Léché Desserts actually has quite a variety of vegan doughnuts which are indicated clearly on their menus. As for prices, it’s not so cheap. It’s definitely a good call to split the purchase with a few friends and get a bunch of flavours. A box of six is around $12 and the box of 12 doughnuts is around $25. Léché  Desserts also offers delivery service.

Léché Desserts is located at 640 de la Courcelle St.