Operas, film festivals, exhibitions, oh my!

Graphic by Thom Bell

A quick guide to what’s coming up in Montreal this fall

It should come as no surprise that Montreal is a lively and eclectic city with a host of different activities one can take part in. Igloofest, Poutinefest, Osheaga… in Montreal, every season is festival season. From performance art to film festivals,  photography exhibitions to musicals, it’s impossible to be bored in a city so full of entertainment and cultural activities. The hardest part about living in Montreal is staying in the loop on what’s coming up. Here are some things to keep an eye out for this season. This is by no means an extensive or all-encompassing list—it is merely the tip of the cultural iceberg that is available for Montrealers to explore.

The Montreal Opera

The 2016-17 Montreal opera season will soon be underway, opening with Giuseppe Verdi’s Aida on Sept. 17. Set in ancient Egypt, Aida tells the story of a young slave torn between her love for an enemy and the love for her country, at a time when Ethiopia and Egypt were poised for war.

If this love story doesn’t catch your eye, maybe Mozart’s Don Giovanni will. A story of love, seduction and revenge, this opera, which takes place in 18th century Seville, is sure to entertain both the opera enthusiast and the casual observer. Opening night is Nov. 12.

Focus: Perfection

Robert Mapplethorpe’s black and white photographs are renowned for their controversial, erotic nature. In a Canadian premiere, the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts will display works spanning the entirety of the notorious photographer’s career: from the early 1970s until his death in 1989. The exhibition will run from September 10 until Jan. 22, 2017.

Gardens of light

As of Sept. 2, step into an enchanted world of lanterns and lights at the Montreal Botanical Garden. Recounting the life of the Son of Heaven, the Chinese Emperor, lanterns in the Chinese garden serve as a testament to some of the key events of the sovereign’s life, such as his enthronement and wedding. In the Japanese garden, luminous bamboo lights the path in a soft glow.

Film festivals

Interested in film? Keep an eye out for several film festivals that will be starting shortly. The Montreal International Documentary Festival, which runs from November 10 to 20, will present over 100 documentary films from Canada and abroad.