CIBC Run for the Cure raised $1.1 million for breast cancer

CIBC Run for the Cure welcomed 5,000 people on Sunday morning. Photo by Mackenzie Lad.

Montrealers showed their support at the breast cancer awareness event

The 20th edition of the CIBC Run for the Cure was hosted in Montreal, Sherbrooke, Quebec City and Val D’or on Oct. 2. In Montreal, the run took place at the Maisonneuve park, and approximately 5,000 people were present.

“This event’s [goal is] to fund the breast cancer foundation mission, which is to do research, spread awareness and support women who are sick with breast cancer,” said Karine Theverge, director of communications and marketing for the Breast Cancer Foundation.

Supporters are all smiles after finishing the run. Photo by Mackenzie Lad.

The CIBC Run for the Cure offers participants three ways to show their support: through a five-kilometer race, a one-kilometer race and a five-kilometer walk.

People from all over the city stepped up to the challenge on their own or with friends and family. Many were wearing pink t-shirts in support of the cause. Many participants fundraised through social media, encouraging friends and family to make donations and support them.

CASA Cares, an organization at JMSB at Concordia, participated in the event. They raised $5,432 for the CIBC Run for the Cure School Team Challenge Award, said Katia Bayat, VP sponsorship of CASA Cares. “Ninety-five people ran with us, which helped us get to our goal to donate to the foundation,” she said.

One in four women diagnosed with cancer are diagnosed with breast cancer, according to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s website. However, the mortality rate of breast cancer has dropped by 44 per cent since 1986, due to the increase of research and awareness campaigns about how to prevent cancer, according to the same source.

For more information about breast cancer awareness and how to prevent it, visit the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s website, www.cbcf.org.