Accused Concordia English professors still on leave from teaching

Graphic by Alexa Hawksworth

Neither Jon Paul Fiorentino nor David McGimpsey have been assigned classes for the upcoming year, according to the university.

The two Concordia English professors who were named as subjects of third-party sexual misconduct investigations have not yet returned to teaching.

In an email to The Concordian, university spokesperson Mary-Jo Barr confirmed that Jon Paul Fiorentino and David McGimpsey have not been assigned classes for the 2018-19 year.

Neither instructor appears in the MyConcordia class database for either the Fall 2018 or Winter 2019 semesters. However, both are still listed as part-time instructors in the university’s directory.

Both professors had previously had their classes reassigned to other instructors in January following unspecified sexual misconduct allegations.

Concordia President Alan Shepard previously told The Concordian that teachers could not be assigned classes while under investigation. However, in her email, Barr said that for reasons of confidentiality, the university could not reveal whether or not any third-party investigations were currently underway.

In February, the CBC obtained an audio recording of Catherine Maheu, the lawyer spearheading the third-party investigation, discussing the cases. She mentions both Fiorentino and McGimpsey by name in the recording, according to the CBC.

In May, former Concordia creative writing student, Emma Healey, revealed that Fiorentino was the unnamed subject of her 2014 essay, “Stories Like Passwords,” which details an abusive relationship she had with one of her writing professors.

On May 22, Healey tweeted, “‘Stories Like Passwords’ is about Jon Paul Fiorentino. “He’s the professor who manipulated me into a relationship, emotionally abused me, assaulted me, coerced me into sex and raped me while I was a student at Concordia and he was a teacher.”

A second, university-led investigation into the cultural climate of sexual misconduct at Concordia released its recommendations in June.

Graphic by Alexa Hawksworth.