Uniting the past and present

alumni hockey game
Roberto Mormina (left) and Derek Watt (right) before playing in the alumni game on Sept. 15.

Former players invited for an alumni hockey game

Concordia Stingers men’s hockey head coach Marc-André Élement invited former players for a weekend of festivities. Élement united the current men’s hockey team with alumni players in a golf tournament on Sept. 14, and organized an alumni hockey game at the Ed Meagher Arena on Sept. 15.

Élement himself is a former player, having been with the Stingers from 2007-11. His assistant coach, Kiefer Orsini, played from 2010-12. He joined CJLO Sports on Sept. 17 to talk about the importance of bringing former players back to Concordia for these events.

“I want [the former players] to be proud of where they come from,” Élement said. “I want them to come back and talk to the players. For me, the team is a big family and I want them to be involved.”    

The head coach wants to organize more alumni events with the team. “My philosophy for having success, it’s not just with the players on the ice. It’s all around, like having the alumni engage with our program,” he added.

Photo editor Mackenzie Lad was at the alumni game to capture some of the happier moments.

After the alumni game, the 2018-19 Stingers men’s hockey team opened their pre-season on Sept. 15 with a 4-1 win against the Université de Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Patriotes.To listen to the full interview with Élement, click here.

Photos by Mackenzie Lad.