“Big Mouth” captures the awkwardness of puberty

Graphic by Ana Bilokin

Brutally honest, the Netflix animated sitcom highlights a topic that’s been taboo for too long

There is a prestigious history of animated sitcoms that have proven to be influential on society. From The Simpsons and Rick and Morty to South Park and American Dad, we’ve seen subtle (and not so subtle) social commentary unfold with our favourite four-fingered icons.

Big Mouth is yet another hilarious animated sitcom but with a very taboo focus: puberty. It addresses the uncomfortable, horrible, exciting and confusing time in adolescents’ lives with hilarity and shamelessness. Its range of characters from different backgrounds invokes perspective and empathy. The show examines young boys and girls’ hormonal issues in ways I have never seen before. It is a revolutionary approach to sexual health, and I am convinced it’s a step toward a healthier view of sexuality in our society.

Big Mouth was created by Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg. These real life best friends grew up alongside one another as they explored puberty and body changes in very different ways. The character, Andrew (voiced by comedian John Mulaney) was hit by a puberty truck; he grew up with intense hormonal urges that Morty (voiced by Nick Kroll) personifies with his character, the Hormone Monster. The dissonance between Andrew’s awkward, gentle personality and his intense developing sexual desires touches on a huge problem young boys face. The show engages in a conversation surrounding these hormonal impulses, which shines a light on how to properly handle these inevitable urges.

Unlike Andrew, Nick, his best friend (voiced by Nick Kroll) hasn’t hit puberty yet, although he experiences his own anxieties as the show unfolds. Envying his best friend, Nick becomes extremely self-conscious about his underdeveloped body.

Another ingenious character is the Shame Wizard (voiced by David Thewlis). According to Psychology Today, sex induces shame more than anything else in the human condition, in part because of the lack of conversation surrounding it. Many young adults feel alone in their introduction to sexual acts. In the show, the Shame Wizard affects all the students in different ways, and they slowly come to understand that all their peers feel shame in some way or another.

Along with addressing toxic masculinity, it also addresses male bisexuality, an under-discussed topic in today’s society. Male bisexuality is criticized and judged because of false implications about a lack of masculinity. Jay (voiced by Jason Mantzoukas) is a child exploring his intense hormonal impulses with female and male counterparts. In a hilarious and uncomfortable manner, his confusion with this topic unfolds.

Big Mouth also addresses female sexuality, from wearing a bra in public for the first time to exploring masturbation and confusing impulses. It wrestles with consent, communication and contraceptives.

In light of the #MeToo movement and the discussion surrounding sexuality, I think this show pushes boundaries and starts conversations that, for many years, society has been too afraid to discuss. Much like comedian Bo Burnham’s Eighth Grade—a 2018 movie that depicts a girl going through puberty with raw and often uncomfortable detail—Big Mouth starts the conversation that society needs to be having right now.

As I laugh along, I’m simultaneously engaging in the most productive conversation I’ve ever had concerning gender roles, shame and sex. So watch the show and prepare to be grossed out and brought back to an uncomfortable time in your life. Nevertheless, watch it with your eyes and ears open. Tell your friends and parents to watch it. But please, don’t watch it with your parents. Or do—you’d be braver than me!

Graphic by Ana Bilokin