Filmmaking meets anti-colonial education

Le Frigo Vert’s Anti-Colonial Feast expands into a week-long series of panels, workshops and screenings

Le Frigo Vert returns this year with its Anti-Colonial Feast. This time, they’re partnering with Cinema Politica to include the art of filmmaking in anti-colonial education. The events are also presented with QPIRG Concordia, People’s Potato and Midnight Kitchen.

“Because we’re a health-food store with a focus on environmental issues, we really try to make it clear that we feel that social justice and environmental organizing should be rooted in Indigenous solidarity,” said Hunter Cubitt-Cooke, an employee and organizer at Le Frigo Vert. “It’s often never mentioned when we talk about the environment or social issues. For us, that’s what we’re trying to get people to think about, and be involved in.”

“[The feast] is co-organized with QPIRG, Cinema Politica and Midnight Kitchen, and they all have different networks,” Cubitt-Cooke said. He praised the broader audience they will hopefully be reaching this year, thanks to the diverse networks from each organization involved. “The main goal is education for students and people who might not be involved in Indigenous solidarity.”

Le Frigo Vert hopes to expand their outreach in order to spread the importance of Indigenous solidarity and history. This year, instead of a one-night event, a series of events revolving around Indigenous solidarity and education will take place from Nov. 20 to 26.

Upcoming events:

On Nov. 20, Michelle Wouters will give an Introduction to Indigenous Solidarity & History workshop at QPIRG Concordia on 2100 Guy St., Suite 205, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wouters is a Sixties Scoop and breast cancer survivor who was adopted by white Europeans and came to Montreal in 1990. She studied humanistic studies at McGill University, and graduated the day after the Quebec referendum of 1995.

A three-hour panel on Indigenous People and Criminalization will take place in Le Frigo Vert on 1440 Mackay St. on Nov. 21, and will begin at 5:30 p.m. Speakers will include Sheri Planteau, an Indigenous mother from Winnipeg residing in Montreal, who was incarcerated for 15 years, and Vicki Chartrand, a Bishops University professor whose focus is on incarceration, criminalization and imprisonment as a colonial institution.

On Thursday, Nov. 22, the Native Friendship Centre will open its doors for the Anti-Colonial Feast. Before digging into the food, there will be a screening of RECLAMATION by Thirza Cuthand. This collaboration is part of The Next 150: Documentary Futurism, a project started by Cinema Politica aimed to share radical and independent documentaries. Although the food is free, the event itself is a fundraiser for the Native Friendship Centre and the Kanehsatà:ke Longhouse land defense fund.On Monday Nov. 26, Cinema Politica Concordia will conclude the Anti-Colonial Week events with the Canadian premiere of First Daughter and the Black Snake. Following the film, protagonist Winona LaDuke and director Keri Pickett will join the audience for a Q&A.

Feature film still from RECLAMATION, directed by Thirza Cuthand