Happening in and around the White Cube this week…

Vincent Meessen. Blues Klair

Tackling issues of history, colonialism and the imaginary, Vincent Meessen seeks to test the present by “proposing rich transcultural and political rereadings and rewritings,” according to Art & Education. Artworks are exhibited under a blue light filter and accompanied by video documentation of a performance by African-American poet Gylan Kain. Following the same themes of black radical tradition and archiving, poet and choreographer Harmony Holiday will perform Exilic Hope / We Don’t Disappear on Nov. 27 at 5:30 p.m.

When: Now until Feb. 23
Admission is free.

Hyper Real: Black History Screening

In collaboration with Art Matters and Cinema Politica, the VAV Gallery will be hosting an evening of short and feature films that explore several issues. Among the short films, Black Men Loving and Yellow Fever tackle beauty culture and fatherhood, while the feature film Ninth Floor documents the 1969 anti-racist protest at Concordia.  

Where: VA Amphitheatre, VA-323 (1395 René-Lévesque Blvd. W.)
When: Nov. 22 6 p.m to 8:30 p.m.
Admission is free, donations accepted.

DHC/ART Book Launch

Celebrating their 10th anniversary, the DHC/ART Foundation for Contemporary Art is releasing a major publication on Nov. 21, documenting their work to date. Accompanying the book launch, their current exhibition, Everything That You Desire and Nothing That You Fear, in which artist Jasmina Cibic explores state-sanctioned spaces and archival research through diverse media, will be open until 9 p.m.

Where: DHC/ART (451 & 465 St-Jean St.)
When: Nov. 21 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Admission is free.

Compared to What? Vernissage

For its second exhibition, Le pop up Galerie + is showcasing work by current and past undergraduate fine arts students, including Jose Guillermo Garcia Sierra, Carlo Polidoro Lopez and Alexia McKindsey. Compared to What? was named after a song by jazz singer Roberta Flack, which repeats, “trying to make it real, compared to what?” The song is concerned with highlighting differences and struggling though the human experience, a theme which is portrayed throughout the exhibition in a variety of the artists’s styles.

Where: Le pop up Galerie + (3915 St-Denis St.)
When: Nov 24, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Admission is free.