In brief: Censorship, Starbucks, slippery sidewalks

City in Brief

A 44-year-old man was stabbed in a movie theatre in Côte-Saint-Luc on Saturday night, according to Global News. Police are investigating and witnesses allegedly saw an argument break out in the theatre. Five men were taken into custody, but released Sunday morning.

Nadya Mirarchi, a Rivière-des-Prairies resident, is suing the City of Montreal for almost half a million dollars for slipping on the icy sidewalk in front of her home and breaking her ankle in three different places last winter, according to CBC. She is claiming damages for loss of revenue, pain and suffering, and medical expenses.

A mansion on Pine Avenue in the Golden Square Mile is on the market for $40 million, according to CTV. The most expensive house on the island used to be the home of 20th-century Philanthropist JW McConnell, whom the Concordia library was named after.

The United Nations is looking to establish four offices outside of its New York headquarters and Montreal is being considered, according to La Presse. The bilingual quality of Montreal and its artificial intelligence hub were listed as advantages. Other cities being considered are Nairobi, Kenya, Budapest, Hungary, and Shenzhen, China.

Nation in brief

The Alberta Teachers’ Association issued an apology after inviting a convicted murderer to give a talk on adolescent addiction at the Calgary City Teachers’ Convention, according to The Georgia Straight. Andrew Evans was sentenced to life in prison in 2009 for killing a 25-year-old Vancouver sex worker. The association will also donate $5,000 to the Stardale Women’s Group, a charity for underprivileged women.

Ryerson’s student union has come under fire for more than $700,000 in questionable expenses, according to The Star. The union will face an independent financial audit to assess the expenses, which include thousands of dollars spent at a nightclub. Hundreds of students attended an emergency board meeting regarding the charges on Feb. 10.

Quebec’s Minister for the status of women said the Muslim hijab “symbolizes a form of oppression toward women,” in a speech announcing her appointment on Feb. 5, according to The Montreal Gazette. Leaders of both the Liberal party and Québec Solidaire criticized Isabelle Charest for her comments to reporters, according to the CBC.

Starbucks Canada has committed to donating all of its unsold food nationwide by 2021, according to Kelowna Now. The project will begin with 250 stores in the Greater Toronto Area. The company estimates that it will provide 1.5 million meals every year once the program is implemented.

Ontario Provincial Police caught a 19-year-old man driving 246km/h on a highway on the night of Feb. 4, according to Global News. The man had his license suspended for seven days following the incident.

World in brief

A Mexican researcher successfully cured almost 30 patients from HPV, according to El Universal. Eva Ramón Gallegos used a procedure called photodynamic therapy to cure 29 patients across the country and treat 420 others.

For the first time, Pope Francis admitted to the systemic sexual abuse of nuns by members of the clergy, according to  BBC. He made the confession in a speech on Feb. 5 during his tour of the Middle East. He cited one case in which an entire congregation had to be shut down to end the abuse.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended that cannabis be reclassified to a less restrictive drug class, according to Newsweek. The announcement reverses the WHO’s 1954 recommendation that the use of cannabis in medicine be abolished.

A bipartisan group of American senators drafted a legislation that would punish Saudi Arabia for the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and the war in Yemen, according to the Daily Maverick. Measures would include restrictions on arms sales to the Kingdom and on refuelings of aircraft involved in the war in Yemen. The senators believe that the Trump administration has not done enough to punish Saudi Arabia for its human rights violations.

Google has allegedly been removing search results in Russia that are blacklisted by the government, according to CNET. The allegations come after the company received a $7,500 fine last November for failing to remove blacklisted sites. Google previously came under fire for its plans to implement similar censorship in China.

Graphic by @spooky_soda.