QUICKSPINS: Tinashe – Songs For You

Tinashe – Songs for You

Songs for You is Tinashe’s strongest work in three years

Following a lengthy period of silence and frustration from Tinashe, she divorced her label, RCA Records, after her last album, Joyride, received mixed reactions and poor album sales. The project wasn’t a failure, but it was definitely a step down from her Nightride mixtape that showed her talent in making alternative R&B.

Now with no leashes or boundaries, Tinashe has released Songs for You, her best work in three years. She seems at home, bouncing from sultry R&B, to club bangers, and even genre-bending tracks such as “Die a Little Bit.”

The production, stemming from heavyweights like Hitmaka and Hit-Boy, is gleaming with personality, especially on the highlight “Hopscotch,” Tinashe’s most club-ready hit with an infectious hook and stylish flows spread across the track.

The hooks are also where Tinashe shines the most. “Story of Us,” “Die a Little Bit,” and “Feelings” all have sharply written hooks that are sure to be remembered and sung by fans at all of her future performances.

The collaborations also offer a nice touch, as Ms Banks, 6lack, and G-Eazy all offer something unique to their respective tracks. The few features are smart as it allows Tinashe to show off how much more versatile she has become in the past few years.

Songs for You is a strong return to form for Tinashe that might help her regain some traction in the mainstream. It’s a carefully-crafted album that ranks among 2019’s most consistent R&B releases.

8/10

Trial Track: “Hopscotch”

Star Bar:

”Wish you would say somethin’ to make me change my mind

Got me feelin’ like somebody else

I been so patient with you but you won’t act right

And I’m tired of sleepin’ by myself

What is we on? Somethin’ is wrong”

(Tinashe on “Touch & Go”)