X marks the spot at CIAU championships

CALGARY-The Concordia Stingers played their first game at the Canadian Interuniversity Athletics Union’s women’s hockey championships on Friday and obliterated the St.
Francis Xavier X-women 9-0.
The Stingers were in control of this game from start to finish. They outshot St. FX 35-6 in two periods of play and had it not been for goaltender Amy Handrahan, the Stingers would
have had an even larger margin of victory.
The Stingers got their first goal in the games seventh minute when Anouk Grignon-L’Anglais slipped the puck past Handrahan after receiving a nice pass from linemate Myriam
Boudreau. Later in the period, Kendra MacDonald beat Handrahan stick side with a quick shot from the slot. Just a minute and a half after that, Caroline Ouellette beat the St. FX
defender to the outside and had her pass go into the net off the other defender for a short-handed goal.
The Stingers completely controlled the first period, with the vast majority of play in the St. FX zone. Just to give you an idea of just how dominant they were, there were only two
face-offs in the Stingers zone the entire period and those both came in the last 10 seconds.
The Stingers also out-shot St. FX 15-2 in that period.
Concordia began the second much the same way it ended the first, with complete domination.
Ouellette got her second goal of the game when she completely undressed the St. FX defence and goaltender with some nice moves.
The Stingers pulled ahead by five goals when Marie-Claude Allard picked up the first of her three goals of the game, when she picked up a loose puck and buried it.
Concordia’s sixth goal was not a pretty one, but they took it anyway.
An X-Women defender put the puck into her own net when she attempted to clear the front of the net. Allard got credit for the goal.
“I was hoping for a good game, but I didn’t expect this. Things are going good for us,” Allard said of the decisive victory.
Allard added that she felt St. FX had improved their play over the course of the year and were playing good.
The Stingers would add another three goals in the third period. Marianne Brien got her first of the tournament seven minutes in when her shot from the point made it through Handrahan’s legs. Allard completed her hat trick on the power play a few minutes later when she roofed the puck over a sprawling Handrahan.
Myriam Boudreau capped off Concordia’s day with her first of the tournament. She neatly put away a great pass from Ouellette with less than two minutes to play.
Ouellette, whose five points [2 goals, 3 assists] led the Stingers on this day, was pleased with her teams performance.
“We came out strong and executed our game plan,” Ouellette said. “They played good in the first period, but we can on stronger in the second and got some goals.”
Other notables for the Stingers were Annie Surprenant who had three assists and Myriam Boudreau with a goal and an assist.
Concordia began preparation for their next game immediately after the match. They play the University of Regina Cougars and according to Ouellette, it will not be an easy task.
“They are a great team and they play well together. We are going to try and be good against them.”