Long term pain, no long term gain

They earn 30 cents per faculty dollar for comparable duties, have no offices, no place to store materials, no access to computers, e-mail or telephones, no secretarial assistance, and they’ve had enough.
They are Concordia’s 500 regular part-time faculty members represented by the Concordia University Part-Time Faculty Association (CUPFA).
Sixty per cent of these part-time faculty members have been teaching for more than 10 years, yet they receive very little representation on university bodies and committees and much less integration into university activities and decision-making organizations.
Now they are speaking out.
Some students may have had the experience of e-mailing or faxing an assignment in to the department secretary due to illness or simply being unable to make it to class, then finding out that the secretary will not forward it to the professor. Chances are the teacher is a part-time faculty member who has no access to the department’s secretary.
Some professors and students around campus are wearing buttons that read “No T.B.A.,” refering to the “To Be Announced” indication in University course schedules. These designations refer to courses that are usually allocated to part-time faculty.
CUPFA launched the “No T.B.A.” campaign in hopes of terminating the T.B.A. designation in course schedules. According to President of CUPFA, Maria Peluso, it is a cause well worth fighting for.
CUPFA has joined with other Quebec unions of part-time lecturers to form an inter-union coalition to demand a catch-up salary adjustment. This is not a pay increase, but a correction of a historical wrong.
This is neither a new movement, nor a new cause. As early as 1987, part-time lecturers at the Universit
0

Savate seminar a success

Campus trees given salt bath