A movie that won’t live in fame or infamy

Destruction Duo Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay have come together to make a three-hour war film filled with unbelievable special effects and detail. Sadly,that is all this “summer blockbuster” has to offer.
The much-anticipated movie starring such notables as Ben Affleck, Kate Beckinsale and Cuba Gooding Jr. is visually stunning, but hardly a mind-altering experience.
It should be pointed out, to those who enjoyed such movies as Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line, that this is not really a war movie. It is a corny love story, involving a sketchy love triangle, which happens to be set during
World War 2.
Pilot Affleck and nurse Beckinsale meet and fall in love. Troubles arise when Affleck’s best friend and Beckinsale get it on after believing Affleck is dead following an accident. This obviously causes two hours of heartache for the trio, since Affleck’s character isn’t really dead.
Pearl Harbor can be compared to James Cameron’s Titanic for its impressive special effects and sappy love story that is set during an actual historical event. Pearl Harbor’s effects are much more intense and not surprisingly so.
Director Michael Bay is the mastermind behind other such “explosive” films as Armageddon and The Rock. Jerry Bruckheimer produced action film Con Air and worked previously with Bay
on The Rock as well.
The set design and costumes are believable in their simplicity, allowing the camera and digital technology to do all the work. This is a very pro-American movie, which at times plays a bit much on how “bad” the Japanese were
considered.
The film only slightly scratches the surface on how much destruction the Americans caused the Japanese following the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Bay’s expertise is made clear in the films’ most incredible scene of the Japanese sneak attack in Hawaii. The effects are crazy, making this one scene worth watching the entire film, if your friend pays for you or if you see it at
matinee price that is.