Concordia represented at Maccabiah Games in Israel

When the 16th Maccabiah Games get under way on July 16, two members of the Concordia community will take part in the opening ceremonies.
Men’s basketball coach John Dore as well as Stinger guard Jonathan Dresner will both be part of Canada’s contingent at the games.
Dore is making his second appearance as coach of the men’s senior basketball entry. In 1997, he directed the team to a gold medal victory.
Dresner, 21, will be on the court helping Canada in an attempt to win a second consecutive basketball gold medal at the games. Dresner is a native of St. Laurent Que. and just completed his first year of study in Concordia’s management program.
Both members will be among the 5,000 participants from over 50 countries who will take part in the games that run from July 16-26.

Julie Healy completes level 4 certification

Julie Healy, Concordia’s intercollegiate manager, recently received her Level 4 coaching certification in hockey. It is the highest level a coach can attain and you must be invited by the Canadian Hockey Association to do so.
Healy will be an assistant coach with the Canadian national Junior women’s hockey team this year.
The certification takes several years to complete and involves a lot of work assignments or tasks — 12 in all. You must also go to Calgary and present your work before a panel, which is like defending your thesis. Many compare this certification process to doing a Phd in hockey.
Only 40 people in Canada have reached this level, only five of which are women. In Quebec, only four people have this certification.

Figsby invited to do his Level 4 certification

Concordia men’s hockey coach Kevin Figsby has been invited by the CHA to do his Level 4 certification.
Figsby is one of nine people selected this year out of a group of 24 candidates. He has already begun the process with a seminar in Wolfville, N.S.

Medwinsky to coach wrestling

Tamara Medwinsky, Concordia’s All-Canadian wrestler, has been selected to coach Canada’s junior national women’s wrestling team at the World Championships in Switzerland this August.
Medwinsky, originally from Toronto, has been accepted into the National Coaching Certification Program Level 4. She will begin her mentorship by attending a training camp in Calgary in July.
Medwinsky is a two-time university All-Canadian and is also one of the top women wrestlers in Canada. She was national champion in May 1998 and represented Canada at the World Championships in October 1998.