On the move at Loyola Campus

Over the summer the departments of journalism and communications moved to Hingston Hall and the Central Building, at the Loyola Campus. The move was a result of the new Science Complex, which began construction during the second week of June.
“There is no more room for both the Journalism and Communications departments in the Bryan Building,” said Mike Gasher, a professor in the journalism department. “The move to Hingston Hall is temporary, but we will have better facilities and more room.”
In April, the Board of Governors approved to proceed with the building of the Science Complex on the Loyola campus, which will cost $85 million. The new Science Complex will be attached and wrapped around the existing Bryan Building, making up the corner of West Broadway and the lane leading to the Refectory.
The complex will house exercise science, the natural science departments, and most of the psychology department. After the new complex is completed by August 2003, both departments will move once again to the Drummond Building, which will be renovated to accommodate both departments. Renovations for the Drummond building will cost $9.5 million.
“The offices of both departments will be housed in Hingston Hall on the fourth floor,” said Martin Allor, the chair of the Communications department, “On the ground floor of Hingston Hall there will be the equipment depot, the learning center, television studios and post-production labs.”
Allor added that Hingston Hall is also being renovated to incorporate both departments with air conditioning and better ventilation for labs. The move to Hingston Hall will cost $1.9 million. “These labs will have more updated equipment, since we are upgrading them, but we will also have improved labs for our students. The multimedia rooms, which will be in the Central building, will have much better internet connections.”
One challenge that both departments had to deal with was to quickly approve appropriate engineering designs for Hingston Hall that would suite both departments’ needs.
Vanessa Berjat, a journalism and communication student, worried that the move may make both departments a bit disorganized. “The moving does not bother me at all. I would like to have more room.”
“I won’t miss the Bryan Building,” said Gasher, “It is ridiculous that part time professors only have one office and sometimes there are three or four professors in there at one time.”