Football team whupped

When the bus left for Ste-Foy, the Concordia Stingers football team was not expecting highway 20 to turn into a highway to hell, but the Laval Rouge et Or had decided otherwise. The Stingers witnessed the Rouge et Or surf on the wave created by their 14,081 cheering fans, and at the end of the afternoon, the Stingers came back home with a 52-7 loss.
The Rouge et Or players wasted little time. The second pass attempted by Stingers quarterback Jon Kronemeyer was intercepted and the Rouge et Or immediately capitalized when quarterback Mathieu Bertrand threw the first of his two touchdown passes. Bertrand finished the game going 12 for 19 for 303 yards and 48 yards on five carries and one touchdown. “I’m very happy. Today everything just seemed to finally fall into place for us,” Bertrand said.
On the other side of the field, Concordia’s quarterbacks were rushed all
afternoon, running side to side to avoid Laval’s defensive tacklers. Jon
Kronemeyer was only 1-of-7 for 7 yards. He was replaced by Hugo Fortier at the beginning of the second quarter and watched the Rouge et Or score four unanswered touchdowns before halftime. Fortier provided the only bright moment of the game for Concordia when he threw a 55-yard touchdown pass to Christopher Cvetkovic with 1:21 remaining in the second quarter. The backup quarterback completed the day with 8-of-14 passes completed for 138 yards.
The second half looked almost exactly like the first one. The Rouge et Or
controlled the ball while the Stingers were trying to stop the bleeding. Laval scored two more touchdowns in the third quarter to make sure that Concordia would get the message. “We wanted to send a message to the Stingers, make them understand that our first game against each other (Stingers won 20-8) was a mistake, an incident on our path,” running back Mathieu Brassard said.
The defeat means that the Stingers have to share the top spot of the Quebec Intercollegiate Football Conference with the Rouge et Or, both teams have a record of 4-2.
After the game, the Stingers’ eyes were empty; disbelief seemed to be the only thing that had survived this game. The offence had not been able to answer the Rouge et Or and quiet the crowd, and the defense went from a solid season to a difficult one (only 78 points allowed before this match).
“Today, that was the real Rouge et Or on the field,” said Rouge et Or head coach Glen Constantin.
Next week, the Stingers will try to get back on track when they visit the McGill Redmen in the 33rd annual Shaughnessy Cup game.