Montlouis overmatched by Laurier

In the consolation game of this year’s Nike tournament the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks dismantled an exhausted A.S. Montlouis, a semi-professional team from France 80-47 on Saturday.
Laurier got off to a quick start dominating the French team at both ends of the floor and running up an 18-0 lead. It took Montlouis eight minutes to make their first basket.
Offensively, the Golden Hawks were strong from the 3-point line, hitting 3 of 6 in the first half. Conversely, Montlouis who only managed to score 3 baskets in the entire half.
The French squad, who were playing with a seven-man roster, had trouble finding open shots from the perimeter.
When the first half was over, Laurier found themselves on top 42-13, with six of the French team’s points coming from the free-throw line.
In the second half, the Montlouis came out still determined to give the Golden Hawks a tough challenge.
They did so by improving their play from perimeter and getting creative with their ball-movement leading to more open shots.
The Golden Hawks responded by powering their way on the inside and wearing down the defense, giving the Laurier centre, who led the game with 18 points, easier shots from the key.
The game was close for most of the second half, although it was clear that the French team was physically overmatched.