Ozga shines as Stingers dominate

Despite being dominated in virtually every category needed to have a successful offensive performance, the Concordia men’s hockey team beat the McGill Redmen in the only one that counted on Sunday winning by a score of 4-1 and improving their record to 2-0.
The Stingers gave a strong reminder that it’s not numbers, but effort that wins hockey games as Concordia gave McGill 11 chances to score on the power play, including three with the two man advantage.
Not only did the Stingers kill off every penalty but they also managed to score a short handed goal in the second period as Alain Charbonneau finished off a 2-on-1 break with Patrice Roy after a spectacular passing play, giving the Stingers a 3-1 lead at the time.
Prior to that goal Concordia got first period goals from forwards Sean Tilley and Edin Burazerovic, while Roy added an empty-net goal in the third to cap of a three-point performance.
Another big number came from Concordia goalie Philippe Ozga who had a 59 save performance as his team was outshot 60-22, making it seem very much like his team.
“The penalty-kill worked well but we have to get more disciplined,” Ozga, who was without question the reason that the Stingers skated away with the win, said.
This was especially the case late in the third when Ozga showed off his quick reflexes by making a sharp glove save and several while sitting in the crease after being knocked down.
The high level of aggression that comes with any Concordia-McGill meeting was evident even without mentioning the 36 minutes in penalties shared between the two teams.
An example of this came when a McGill player checked defenceman Greg Dunn into the open door of the Stingers bench. Although he got up slowly, Dunn continued to play and kept his cool.
The hit on Dunn was a common occurrence as players were hit along the bench door several times over the course of the game.
“Both teams played hard,” Dunn said. “As long as the team wins, that’s all that matters.”
Another common occurrence was retaliation on the part of the Stingers, including when Dunn took a crosschecking penalty a few minutes after he was hit.
“We are a young and exciting team to watch but we have some over anxious rookies,” Head Coach Kevin Figsby, who also called McGill’s style of play “chippy” and “cheap,” said.
While a large percentage of the Stingers is made up of rookies, Ozga said the veterans have been able to play a major part in evening-out the inexperience.
“The veterans are prepared for what we face and they prepare the young guys,” he said.