Women’s soccer a no show

A bitter rivalry was revisited this past Sunday as Concordia’s women’s soccer team met with a devastating 4-0 loss to the McGill Martlets at Concordia Stadium.
When it was over, Concordia head coach Ammar Awad remained seated on the deserted bench, his head lowered in disbelief. On this particular day his team just didn’t show up prepared.
“They played better than us. We played for the first 30 minutes. We’re not fit and that’s it,” Awad said.
Anytime Concordia meets McGill in a sporting event, tensions and expectations are high. Unfortunately, the home team just seemed deflated from the very start.
The opposite was true of the visitors. The Martlets were full of energy,
always first to the ball. The Stingers were not competing, not winning the one on one match ups and most importantly not running as fast.
Only a handful of Stingers showed any signs of life. Forward Kelly Hemsley was solid, almost breaking away on a couple occasions in the first half but always stopped by McGill goalie Sacha Liben.
In the defensive end, Concordia held its own for the first half, holding McGill at bay. As defenseman Emilie McIver put it, “We held them tight until the last ten minutes of the first half.”
McGill opened the scoring at the 35-minute mark of the first half on a picture perfect angular kick by star player Amber Allen. The Martlets added a second goal before the half was over.
McGill eventually added two more goals in their decisive win.
For the Stingers, there were no excuses. If the opponent, a long time rival, wasn’t enough to motivate them, the fact that they’d lost their last two games after starting the season with a 3-0 record should have been further incentive to play harder.
“We came out really ready. We all thought this time we would finally get McGill.
We’ll get them next time,” said defender Maggie Katz.
The Stingers play their next game on Oct.6 at the University of Quebec in Trois Rivieres.