Women’s soccer drops to 4-5-1 with disappointing loss

The Stingers played 80 minutes of quality soccer against the Bishop’s Gaiters on Sunday afternoon at Concordia, only to see their efforts disintegrate in the final 10 as two late goals gave the visitors a 2-1 victory in women’s soccer action.
There was a strong wind blowing from south to north, knocking down high lobs and giving a huge advantage to the team defending the south goal. The Stingers opened the match with that edge and they played a great half with the wind at their back.
Strikers Amanda Maks and Jerusha Osborne both showed their superior skill and speed to the Gaiter defenders, going on exciting runs that finished in scoring opportunities during the game.
Concordia also defended their zone very well, with sweeper Emilie Melver anchoring the defense.
Concordia seemed to have opened the scoring in the 30th minute when Maks outmuscled Gaiter goalkeeper Jo Bolduc for the ball and scored following a pass from fullback Maggie Katz, but the play was whistled down as Maks was called for a foul on Bolduc.
The Stingers continued their great play , and were rewarded when Osborne was fouled inside Bishop’s 18-yard box with five minutes to play in the first half.
Melver converted the ensuing penalty kick into a goal, and took a 1-0 lead into halftime.
Stinger goalie Melissa Downing had an excellent match, making clutch saves all day. She was named Player of the Match after the game.
Osborne had a few great opportunities in the second half to add to the lead, as she cut and dribbled her way past the visiting team’s defenders seemingly at will, but her attempts were unsuccessful.
After about 75 minutes, the Singers seemed to have run out of gas as their passing became sloppy and their defense disorganized. The Gaiters put fresh legs on the field, and the gap in energy level between the two teams became obvious.
After some sustained pressure from Bishop’s, a long, high shot bounced off the crossbar and went right to Gaiter midfielder Erin Patrick, who banged home the equalizer with eight minutes left.
The goal swung the momentum entirely in favour of the Gaiters.
A long shot from a Gaiter midfielder on the right side was taken by the wind and Downing could only watch as the ball sailed over her head and into the net.
The Gaiters took a late 2-1 lead, and never looked back.

Related Posts