Laval too tough for women as well

Too many clear shots from the arc spelled doom for Concordia’s women’s basketball team, as the Stingers fell to the Laval Rouge et Or 72-58 in their season opener at Loyola Gym on Saturday.
The one player that did the most damage from the outside was Laval’s Marie-Helene Pedneau, who iced five 3-pointers, which contributed 15 of her 24 points. Pedneau made all of her shots with little or no interference from Concordia defenders.
“You can’t give their best shooters a good look at the basket,” Head Coach Keith Pruden said.
“We missed some easy shots that we shouldn’t have. But it was what we gave them that hurt us.”
Concordia was anchored by the play of their 6-foot-2 centre Kristina Steinfort, who laid in 21 points and played a tough game on the glass and in the paint Guard Marie-Pier Veilleux was also a factor, scoring 15 in a losing cause.
The Stingers, who trailed 34-27 at the half, were involved in a physical bout with the Rouge et Or all game. The foul board lit up more than the night’s sky during the Leonid meteor shower Sunday morning.
“We played well and were evenly matched for most of the game,” said Pruden, despite trailing at the intermission. “The first six minutes of the second half were what really hurt us.”
The second was a better shooting half for Concordia, but the home squad couldn’t claw their way out of the hole that they had dug in the first. Laval garnered leads of 18 at times, with small surges of offence from Concordia.
Whenever the Stingers seemed to be making ground, the Rouge et Or’s big guns would fire back and push the home team back to the trenches.
“I think we could have beaten them,” Pruden said. “We shot the ball better in the second half than the first.”
The women now travel across town to meet McGill on Saturday.
Concordia, who held a 7-4 record after exhibition play, will try to exact their revenge a week later at home against Laval Dec. 1.

0