Potter succeeds in stirring up the magic

In ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’; movie magic is not only created but completely reinvented. To many loyal readers of the J.K. Rowling series, this has been an arduous wait as they have anticipated their inner most imaginative thoughts of these immortal characters being projected onto the screen in a manner befitting of Hollywood fashion.
Warner Brothers, the Studio that released the film knew that that they had their hands on a very bankable box office franchise from the very beginning. Yet, this substantial deposit could only be made if they mirrored all the character development, plot and imagination that was conveyed in the books.
Within this 2hr. and 23 minute opus we are treated to a ‘buffet’ of cinematic magic. The characters are engaging, the visual effects are incredible, the plot is condensed yet direct and the pure joy of this film is inexplicable. In short, you will pardon my colloquialism, but this film is what going to the movies is all about.
Our young protagonist is an 11-year-old wizard, who after being raised by his neglectful aunt and uncle is finally ready for a stay at the Hogwart’s School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. While in attendance at this magical and luxurious school under the watchful eye of many, he meets his destiny as he proves his worth at saving the school and himself from an elaborate scheme involving the titular stone.
Unlike many films this past year, this film functions on many levels. The first mark at knowing a great family film when seeing one is viewing the complete silence of a theatre filled with children, not even one child budged during this fairly lengthy family film. Secondly, it is clear that the film stays true to the novel and makes no attempt at tainting plot for the sake of running time. Thirdly, the end product is an incredible film that will clearly re-launch the Warner Studio back to the head of the industry.
The casting of the film was terrific. Harry Potter is played by the young Daniel Radcliffe, a relative newcomer to the business considering he has only appeared in one other film, ‘The Tailor of Panama’. Potter is played with a mix of brilliance and coyness by Radcliffe, who is absolutely photogenic resulting in an attraction that is sustained for the duration of the film.
Radcliff is accompanied by a great cast of supporting child actors who befriend Harry Potter and join him in his quest. This was found in Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. They both respectively play Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger and are astonishing as two of Harry’s partners in unraveling a great mystery locked away at Hogwarth’s.
In addition to our child actors; very respectable, prominent British actors are included in the epic adaptation of the book. Richard Harris stars as Headmaster Albus Dumbeldore, Alan Rickman as the deliciously mysterious Professor Severus Snape and Maggie Smith as Professor Minerva McGonagell.
They all have well grounded roles that shape this film into an enjoyable and fantastic family adventure.
The spirit of the book is captured by Steven Kloves’ screenwriting as many moments of the book are brought to screen in a picturesque and larger than life way. Among them, the highlighted scene of the film that shows Potter playing the game of Quidditch. This game is a mix of soccer, rugby and hockey all while being played on a flying broom. Also, the trolls, goblins and Fluffy; the three-headed dog will all bring a smile to the experienced readers’ eye as the fictitious characters have been personified on screen and thus immortalized.
Director Chris Columbus, who is most known for the first two ‘Home Alone’ films steers this film and presents us with a cinematic experience unlike anything we have ever seen before. While exhibiting a Gothic look that appears to be out of the Tim Burton school of production design, this film instills within its’ viewer a sense of awe that is pervasive.
The film’s dark tone is somehow balanced by its’ lighter themes, resulting in a flawless mix.
This can be seen within the incredible intense climax in which a dual faced character appears resulting in a fierce battle with our hero that leaves a body to metamorphosize into ashes.This scene to some parents was so intense that some deemed it too graphic and left the theatre with their children for the duration of the climax.
If there will be one complaint about the film it will be the climax. Yet, one must respect the film’s ambitiousness and audacity at carrying out the book’s vision in a manner that pleases the loyal fan while revealing this series of books to a whole new audience.
In a nutshell, this film is pure magic. And as the ticket counters at the theatres are clinging away just as you read this, do not be surprised if it breaks the biggest cinematic box office grosser of all time.