Stingers make turkeys of Golden Hawks

The Concordia Stingers put out their best performance of the young university hockey season in a dominating 7-2 win over the Laurier Golden Hawks last Saturday afternoon at Ed Meagher Arena.
The win came on homecoming weekend for the men’s squad, as several members of the Stingers alumni witnessed a stellar demonstration of offence.
“We executed very well today after struggling last week,” said head coach Kevin Figsby, who is in his second full year at the helm of the gold and maroon’s men’s hockey program.
The Stingers took it to the Golden Hawks right from the opening face-off, firing several shots at goalie Brandon Sacco.
The first Concordia goal of the game came 1:36 into the first period when centre David Comeau and right wing Edin Burazerovic set up Chris Page, who converted for his first of three goals on the afternoon.
Laurier came storming back just over two minutes later when Ryan Gies scored a power play goal to tie the game at one apiece.
By the end of the period however, Concordia put the game out of reach, exploding for four goals to take a 5-1 lead at the first intermission.
Sacco surrendered five goals on fifteen shots, prompting coach Tony Martindale to put backup Brett Lemmon between the pipes for the start of the second period.
The Stingers kept the attack going in the second period, taking a 6-1 lead at the 2:27 mark on a power play goal by Comeau, who found the puck on his stick after the puck took a generous bounce off the boards.
The Hawks started to get undisciplined as the second period reached the halfway point.
Defenceman Chase Brunton caught Page with his knee, knocking the Stinger forward down on the ice for a few moments, clutching his knee.
Brunton received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for the infraction.
The Golden Hawks reduced the Stingers’ lead to 6-2 with 1:45 remaining in the period on an unassisted shorthanded goal by Gies, who managed to elude the Stinger defence.
Just over six minutes into the third period, Page got the hat trick after being set up by Comeau and Burazerovic on a pretty passing play, making the score 7-2.
The line of Page, Comeau and Burazerovic combined for 11 points in the game, which proved that Figsby’s line juggling before the game paid off. “We have been successful as of late with the line shuffling,” Figsby said.
Page stressed the importance of winning the game. “With the Christmas break coming up, we want to win as many games as possible,” he said.
Concordia goalie Philippe Ozga was spectacular in the net, only letting two of the 47 shots he faced get by him.
“The guys played great and the early goals helped. We have to keep playing like this,” Ozga said.
It was a busy afternoon for the referee, with the two teams combining for 57 penalty minutes.
The Stingers now sit at 4-5-1 and will be on the road this weekend, taking on RMC on Saturday and Queen’s on Sunday.