Time out

Why does the man insist upon keeping Concordia down?
For weeks now, we have been talking about how Concordia’s sporting reputation is quickly on the rise. There is a buzz around the Loyola campus, and by extension most of the N.D.G. area. People are seeing that this school is providing its students with top quality athletics, as well as top quality education.
So why don’t we ever hear about it in the mainstream media?
Forget the offensive political climate fostered by the soon-to-be dismissed CSU and the bad press that this has given the school, and focus on the way university sports are covered in the Gazette, CFCF News, Global, TSN and many other Montreal and national publications and networks.
Unless McGill or Laval is involved, Concordia athletics have little to no exposure.
The Gazette has shown such blatant McGill favoritism, that it has even published articles with “facts” about how the Redmen have an overall winning record in all sports against the Stingers, even though a quick look at CIS stats will show that in almost all intercollegiate sports, Concordia holds the edge.
Flip to TSN or RDS, and Concordia is lucky to get their scores mentioned, while Laval has several of its matches broadcast across the province.
CFCF News (formerly known as Pulse) avoids Concordia like a bad cold, even though Sports Night, its 11:45 p.m. sports show is supposed to have a local sports mandate. Global? They at least broadcast the Shaugnessy Cup sometimes.
The fact is that no matter how good the Stingers are, Concordia is seen as Montreal’s second-class English university, and this view is reflected in how the sports scene is covered by the media.
Not to float our own boats, but if not for the Concordian and the Link, Concordia sports would be ignored all together.
What needs to happen, is that the people who care – the athletes, coaches, athletics staff and fans – need to start writing letters and making phone calls to the big papers and news shows.
Concordian’s certainly know how to protest, anyone who has been to the SGW campus certainly knows about that…so why don’t they get out and make some noise?
[email protected]