Time out

It was an exciting first half of the year for the Concordia Stingers franchise.
There were several ups and downs, but for the most part it was a positive three months.
While the football team suffered a disappointing playoff loss to the McGill Redmen at Concordia Stadium in early November, the season was still essentially a success.
Head Coach Gerry McGrath led his crew to a 5-3 record, which was good enough for second place in the QIFC.
McGrath will be in his third year at the helm of the Maroon and Gold. Hugo Fortier is likely to step into the starting quarterback’s role with the departure of Jon Kronemeyer, and despite the loss of All-Canadian Burke Dales, the team has a good, young core that should be tough to beat.
The men’s soccer team had one of the most impressive regular season’s in Canada, going a perfect 9-0. The team was led by Ammar Badawieh and Stefan Takac with seven goals apiece, and captain Frank Pons had a great year.
The only problem was their failure against UQAM in the playoffs: they lost 2-1 in a shootout to put their perfect season to an end.
The women’s soccer team wasn’t quite the top team in the province, but they did turn in a decent 6-7-1 record, which was good enough for fourth in the league.
The Stingers rode the efforts of Kelly Hemsley, who was the team’s best scorer with five goals, not to forget strong performances from Jerusha Osborne and Amanda Maks.
Then there’s the women’s rugby team.
In a league that makes no sense, the Stingers simply made a mockery of the other teams. With captain Sommer Christie leading the way, they won games by 50 or 60 points regularly, unless, of course, they were playing McGill.
The Martlets, who pretty much never, ever lose beat the Stingers handily in every match, including a 60-0 thwomping in the Quebec finals.
And then comes the men’s rugby team.
With 56 points to his credit, Mathieu Garston and the rest of his crew racked up a 7-1 record, and they took their third straight Quebec championship.
Concordia now focuses on the winter sports.