Your Sports: Lacrosse

Curious about lacrosse? For a long time, lacrosse-playing Concordia students have had nowhere to refine their skills on campus. This is no longer the case, with a new lacrosse league being organized by Concordia’s Campus Recreation. The league is available to anyone interested in learning and playing Canada’s national summer sport, and has a fee of $25 for the semester.

Curious about lacrosse?
For a long time, lacrosse-playing Concordia students have had nowhere to refine their skills on campus.
This is no longer the case, with a new lacrosse league being organized by Concordia’s Campus Recreation.
The league is available to anyone interested in learning and playing Canada’s national summer sport, and has a fee of $25 for the semester.
The fee will help purchase equipment, such as lacrosse sticks and helmets for the fledgling league.
Clinics will be held at the Loyola Sports Complex, in the gymnasium, Friday evenings from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. Two former lacrosse players, Ray Kirkwood and Travis Millar, will spearhead the new league.
Players at all developmental stages of lacrosse are welcome, though emphasis will be placed on learning basic skills, in order to introduce the sport to new players.
Cradling, shooting, and passing will be covered, as well as rules of the game. The first half of the evening will be focused on learning and practicing, and the second half will be set aside for scrimmaging.
The hopes of the league’s coordinators are to teach lacrosse to enough people in order to have a minimum of four teams, and a maximum of six.
Clinics will cease once there are enough people to play, and the rest of the season will see teams competing against each other.
Members of the Montreal Express of the National Lacrosse League may assist the Concordian league by donating time and equipment, and may even help coach.
Anyone interested in playing or finding out more about this new league are invited to come to a clinic held this Friday, Feb. 1 from 7-9 p.m. at the Loyola gym, or are asked to contact Ray Kirkwood at campus recreation at 848-3858, or send him an email at [email protected]

0

Your Sports: Charities score big on weekend

Accessible education threatened