CIS honours ConU’s Lauren Houghton

Concordia’s Lauren Houghton is this years recipient of the TSN award, the Concordian has learned.
The award is being presented today, Feb. 27, in Regina.
The TSN Award is presented by The Sports Network to reward excellence in the student-athlete. The recipient exhibits outstanding achievement in three areas: hockey, academics and community involvement.
The 20-year-old defenceman from Pointe Claire truly excels in all three areas. She is one of the cornerstones of a solid Stingers defence and at five-foot-nine, 155-pounds, she is a physical presence on the blueline.
She also excells in the classroom with a GPA of 4.0 in 2001, putting her on the Concordia University Dean’s List. She was also an honour roll student at John Abbott and from 1993-98, she was on the honour roll at Lindsay Place High School.
She has been very active in her community as a volunteer in a variety of roles since 1996. She coached ringuette and in 2001-02, she was the student-athlete representative on the Concordia Recreation and Athletic Board.
“With rookie goaltenders in nets, our defenders have to be responsible defensively – not take chaces, stay composed – Lauren gets the job done,” head coach Les Lawton said.
Houghton one day hopes to follow the likes of former Stinger defenders like Karyn Bye and Therese Brisson who now play for their national teams. “It’s something to strive for,” she sais.
“Lauren is always smiling, always in a great mood. She’s very considerate toward her teammates and the program,” Lawton said.
“The world would be a better place if there were more Lauren Houghtons.”