Home Arts Reborn CUTV making strides

Reborn CUTV making strides

by Archives February 27, 2002

If you are a student and would like to expose your work, then Concordia University Television would like to hear from you.
The CUTV is alive and well again thanks to an enthusiastic and hard working group of students who have breathed new life into the multi-dimensional media format.
Although popular in the seventies, the vibrancy of the CUTV waned in the nineties, students just weren’t interested in putting forth the effort to make CUTV a success. That is until last year when a few intrepid students began to take an interest.
The new CUTV is a holistic form of media which allows students the opportunity to expose their work, in all forms and genres, such as film, literature, journalism, art, music, creative writing, photography, communications, marketing and advertising.
If you are a student and have some work that you would like to share you can post it on the CUTV website (www.cutvmedia.com).
The website is only one aspect of CUTV, it also consists of a video news show which is a collection of 2-5 minute news clips covering a variety of youth related topics, such as student life, political life, and academic life.
The CUTV crew has been hard at work brainstorming ideas to build an inventory of newsworthy stories. They already have two completed. CUTV hopes to have it’s news show picked up by a TV network. They have discussed this possibility with several stations, but the show needs further development before becoming a feasible option.
The reborn CUTV is still in its’ infancy, and although there is a half hour string of news clips that are played on the monitors of the sixth floor of the Hall building, the viewing schedule remains irregular.
If you check frequently you should be able to catch it. This same looping playlist of news stories can also be viewed on the CUTV web site, and is updated from time to time.
Some stories that CUTV are currently working on are an interview with up-and-coming Canadian rock band Staggered Crossing., which is an examination of how sperm banks work, an inquiry into why the new quarters don’t work in some pay phones and vending machines, a look at speed dating, and many other interesting topics.
The CUTV has a core of 20 to 30 individuals who are dedicated to the concept, and juggle their academic responsibilities with CUTV work.
To fully realize the CUTV vision a lot more work and resources will be required, so volunteers are always welcome.
“Getting involved with CUTV is a good way to learn new skills” Production Coordinator Nick Wilson said.
Some people involved with CUTV have journalism and production skills and are able to hit the ground running, while a lot of people who get involved are learning from the ground up, both profiles are welcome.
If you would like to acquire skills in video and film production, such as how to use a camera, how to edit and produce a news show, you should get involved with the CUTV.
The CUTV is also looking for individuals who can assist with building and maintaining the website.
To contact the CUTV send an email to info@cutvmedia.com or call 848-7403. The website is www.cutvmedia.com.