ID numbers public info

There is no danger in publicly posting student identification numbers of candidates running for the CSU council of representatives, Chief Electoral Officer Stephan Herman said.
Herman said it is necessary to show the candidate’s ID numbers to prove that they are indeed Concordia students registered at the university. He added the ID numbers are displayed only on official posters at two locations, one on each campus.
When asked if this act was a violation of privacy, Herman said: “If you run for office then you are in the public domain.” He added that being in the public domain means you are required to present such information and if the candidate does not want to present this type of material, then they should not run as candidates.
Herman also said the exposure of the candidate’s ID numbers does not present any security problems. He said if someone wanted to commit fraud, they would still have to get access to Concordia computers, which is difficult to do. “If [someone wanted] to commit fraud, they will do so whether or not they have someone’s ID number.”
He said there was not a single complaint filed against this action and the candidates themselves did not object to having their student ID numbers posted publicly.