Get yourself wet while at university

For those who are walking through the doors of the Hall Building for the first time, Concordia University can seem like a big, intimidating and impersonal place with people you see one day and never see again. Yet for other new students, university is not an intimidating experience, but something that is new and exciting. Indeed, Concordia is an exciting place with lots to do in between classes.

Concordia has many activities and events with the different associations and clubs that are based on nationality, religion, academics, athletics and activities. It would be hard for any student not to find an association that suits them.

The point of university is to get educated and one of the benefits of going to school is being able to have fun and learn at the same time. Part of having a good time is having a place to belong or to hang out. Having such helps students to adjust to a new environment and it makes for a more enjoyable university experience.

Being part of a club or an association allows the new student to get in touch with students from other years and they can get tips on getting through their first year. Not only that, but students can also meet new friends or meet people of different backgrounds and cultures that they would otherwise never meet. Take the time to check out what kinds of clubs, athletics and associations there are. Then ask what your faculty association offers. All have something that will benefit you and you have nothing to lose by joining at least one of them. Don’t be scared to take advantage of what clubs and associations can offer you; they are there for a reason. Moreover, joining can help your future career by getting you invaluable experience that is relevant to your education and career. If being a public speaker or making presentations are essential to your career join the toastmaster’s club.

Go to the orientations that are offered, not only will you meet people, but you will also make valuable contacts within the university that can help you out. There is also Recreation and Athletics where you can play volleyball, take dance lessons, lift weights or learn martial arts in a friendly and non-competitive environment.

Getting involved in any association or club really makes you part of the university, since you are contributing to the life of the campus. Also, by joining you are making the university yours. By making the university yours, you are enriching your stay, as well as, those of others. Furthermore, your stay at university will be a much more of a memorable one. Go out and get involved!

You can check out the different clubs and associations at the university website at www.concordia.ca or with the Concordia Student Union on the sixth floor of the Hall Building for the list of different clubs and associations that are available. If you would like to find out more information from about Recreation and Athletics at the SGW Campus call 848-3860 or at the Loyola Campus 848-3850.