Stingers sweep Vert et Or teams

The Concordia Stingers men’s and women’s rugby teams took out the broom last Sunday when they made a clean sweep over the Sherbrooke Vert et Or at Concordia Stadium.

Both Sherbrooke teams combined failed to make even one try against the Stingers and the final scores said it all: Concordia’s sweep included a score of 39-0 for the women and 32-0 for the men.

The women’s game, scheduled early in the afternoon, clearly showed the Stingers were up for the challenge of their larger opponents, concentrating on well-executed passes and breakaways.

Within the first ten minutes of the game, strong side wing Anna Bediako showed the ability to take on a bigger opponent, scoring on the first try.

Minutes later, after losing possession of the ball from a line-out, scrum-half and last year’s athlete of the year Sommer Christie made an excellent steal and followed up with another try.

According to head coach Sheila Turner, the backline played well, and proved to be up to the challenge by scoring on all seven tries.
After a hard-hitting first half, the Stinger women continued to dominate throughout the
second half of the game.

Christie capitalized on a breakaway, seizing the ball at the ten-metre line and making a clean dash up the field to a try, which was followed by the first completed conversion by inside centre Krista McKay.

McKay seized another opportunity to show off her kicking skills on a conversion following Kathleen Bateman’s second try.

In a complete turn-around from the Sept.11 56-5 loss against McGill, the Lady Bees’ overwhelming ball possession was defined by excellent second phase play marked by consistent rucking, good back play and determined running.

Turner felt the girls had a relatively good game, pointing out how pleased she was with newcomer McKay’s performance.

Solid play was continued by the Stinger men later in the afternoon, playing a fast and skilled game against the Vert et Or.

The Concordia men proved, like the women, that Sherbrooke’s immense size meant nothing by stealing the put-in at the scrum and scoring on their first try – completed by hooker Julien Ouimet – within the first ten minutes of the game.
Speed was the Stingers strongest asset against the Vert et Or.

“We had [planned] on being fast and quick with [their] plays and passes, ” assistant coach Tom Smith explained about the game plan.
Playing the 8-man, Jon Chiniborch “made some great breaks, ran and played hard.”
Near the end of the first half, flanker Rob Anhert emphasized the Stingers speed game with a breakaway to the try zone, which was followed by a difficult conversion flawlessly kicked by fullback Simon LeBlanc.

The men also dominated possession of the ball and kept the play in Sherbrooke’s zone for most of the game.

Concordia passes were crisp and support from the backline was solid as the forwards pummelled the Sherbrooke defence.

The Sherbrooke men played intensely and tried hard, but the Concordian men dominated with their consistent play and came out victorious in the end.
“Well, we won but we could have played better,” head coach Graeme McGravie stated.

“We made some good breaks and scored some points.”

He felt the game was stopped too often and his boys didn’t have enough time to organize their plays.

After a triumphant afternoon over the Sherbrooke squad, the Stinger men and women are already preparing for their biggest game against McGill, which will be played at home on Oct. 2.

Judging by Sunday’s games, the McGill teams will struggle in order to earn a victory again the Maroon and Gold.