Down goes Bishop’s

Early last Sunday morning at Bishop’s University, the Concordia Stingers’ women’s rugby team pummeled the Gaiter girls with a final score of 44-5. They emerged victorious after playing a skilled, hard-hitting game.

Within the first five minutes of the game, backliner Anna Bediako made a break from the pack in order to score the first try. Kicker Krista McKay was unable to complete the conversion due to the wide left touchdown.

The Concordia women kept the upper hand position and continued to score repeatedly within the first 30 minutes.

“The forwards pushed right through Bishop’s and made the first few tries,” forward Kathleen Bateman commented on her teammates and their performance in the first half.

As one of their tactics, the Lady Bees pressured the Gaiter girls to drop the ball, but little effort was required in that aspect because Bishop’s poor ball handling was evident right from the starting play.

The Concordia squad kept on hitting hard and won possession of the ball on numerous occasions. Domination of the game was held throughout the game by Concordia, despite Bishop’s fruitless efforts to make a break.

Ever-present and always ready to defend her side of the field, scrumhalf Sommer Christie did not let the team down. “As usual, Sommer had a very good game and supported her team,” coach Sheila Turner said, who was also pleased with centre Andreane L’Ecuyer’s performance.

Organization of passes and powerful tackles helped the Stingers in their explosive performance, which was helped by their continued rucking up the field.

The Concordia women also showed great force in their scrums. The Stingers did not finish with a much-desired shutout, allowing the Gaiters to score one try to end the game with a 44-5 win for the Lady Bees.

Turner was very pleased with the girls’ performance and feels they are ready to break their jinx against the McGill Martlets.