Lady Bees destroy Carleton in blowout

The Concordia women’s hockey team posted their third win in a row Friday night at the Ed Meagher Arena, improving their University League record to 6-2-0 when they humiliated the visiting Carleton Ravens.

The game started with a controversial goal by Concordia forward Kelly Sudia and ended in a football score of 20-1 for the Lady Bees.

From the onset of the match Concordia pressured the Ravens’ inexperienced defence with some fierce fore checking and puck control.

The Ravens managed to stave off the attack for two minutes and a half of the first period when finally Sudia snuck a sweet wraparound goal past Carleton’s goaltender to record the first of her five points on the night.

The floodgates opened and Concordia dominated the play in all aspects of the game from that point on.

For Carleton second-string goaltender Veronica Cruz, who started due to a shoulder injury to their usual number one goalie, it was a night to forget.

Cruz felt the pressure throughout the game, facing 65 Stinger shots that included 24 in the first period alone.

Although she managed to make some nice glove saves, Cruz’s defence was unable to successfully clear the puck in front of her net.

At times, all the overwhelmed Ravens’ goaltender could do was occasionally ice the puck in an effort to alleviate Concordia’s intense pressure.

The last time these two teams met, the outcome was a lopsided 10-0 Stinger victory.

For this encounter, Concordia head coach Les Lawton was faced with the challenge of getting his players mentally prepared to face a clearly inferior opposition.

He set individual, line and team goals in an effort to keep his troops sharp.

After the game, coach Lawton was satisfied with the effort of his players who maintained their focus and discipline for almost all of the game minus one break down in which the Ravens, while short handed, were able to get the puck behind Stinger goalie Christiane Gauthier.

The game also presented a great opportunity for some Stinger rookie players to gain valuable experience.

Three of which, Amber Lee, Nathalie Cuvele and Janie Brassard scored their first university league goals.

Brassard not only notched her first goal ever as a Stinger but she also potted two more and added an assist to finish the night with four points. So far this season, Brassard has not dressed for all of the games, falling victim, like many other players, to Concordia’s abundance of talent.

She was thrilled to post a hat trick and also spend some time on the power play, a position that is usually reserved for players from the top two lines.

The loss visibly upset Carleton Head Coach Wayne Baird.

“Never in my 30 years of coaching hockey at any level, have I seen an opposing coach use his first two lines in the third period when they were winning by so much,” Baird said.

He was referring to the fact that Concordia used all of their players throughout the game, in spite of the score, and in the process breached an unwritten rule of hockey.

The coach went on to say that although the game was one to forget, he would use the night’s harsh lesson in hockey to motivate his players for upcoming games.

0