Nancy Girgis and Justin Way

I would like to commend co-sports editors Nancy Girgis and Justin Way for the way they handled a situation involving Link reporter Katie Franzios recently.
Franzios was barred from the Stingers’ men’s hockey team’s locker room by assistant coach Peter Bender because she is a woman.
Although Franzios received little support from the Link, Girgis and Way made a point of saying that the hockey situation was unacceptable in their Time Out column last week.
As a former sports editor of the Concordian myself, I have some experience with issues like this, and I would have done the same thing that Girgis and Way did.
While head coach Kevin Figsby resolved the situation (Franzios has been welcomed with open arms), it is important that Bender and others like him learn that in 2002, women journalists must be allowed in the dressing room to do their jobs. Franzios was not there to watch the players shower, she was there for a professional reason, and should have been treated with respect.
It’s nice to know that the Concordian sports department will stand up for a just cause, even if it was a reporter from another paper.
Noah Sidel
3rd year Journalism
Former Sports Editor, The Concordian