We’re going to the picture shows! . . .

Going to the movies is a great way to pass the time around this point in the semester, mainly because, one, it gets you out of the house and two, it’s a half-decent substitute for hammin’ it up on a Friday night, inevitably leading to that mind-numbing hangover the next morning. This, we all know, is not an ideal state to be in when exams and essays are swallowing you whole. But, darn it, which one do you go see? Well, maybe this’ll help.

NOV. 29

Rabbit-Proof Fence. Based on a true story. Three Australian Aboriginal girls, trained by the government to be servants for a white family, escape their captors and begin the long journey home across the Outback. According to audiences in Australia the movie is heart-breaking, so watch it with that special someone, whose shoulder you can cry on without feeling weird.

DEC. 6

Adaptation. From Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze, the creators of Being John Malkovich. Need I say more? I don’t know what the hell these guys smoke during production.

My kingdom. A modern gangster tale based on Shakespeare’s King Lear. Richard Harris’ performance in his final role is the highlight here.

DEC. 13

About Schmidt. From A. Payne, director of Election and Citizen Ruth. After his wife passes away, a retired actuary in his sixties travels across the USA to attend the wedding of his daughter to a man he doesn’t approve of. Along the way, he confronts what little he’s made of his life. This one is sure to get Jack Nicholson a 12th Oscar nomination.

Intact. A World War II concentration camp survivor who possesses the ability to steal, sell, or give away luck to anyone he chooses. He steals luck from an earthquake survivor, who in turn swears vengeance. Interesting premise, and the movie has garnered positive buzz at the Sundance Festival.

DEC. 20

25th Hour. A young man parties the night away with his two best friends and his girlfriend as he experiences his last day of freedom before he begins serving a seven-year jail term for drug dealing. Spike Lee helming, Edward Norton acting, David Benioff writing, and a disturbing finale. Nice.

Narc. When the trail goes cold on the murder investigation of a policeman, an undercover narcotics officer on probation is lured back to the force to help solve the case. The trailer’s looking awful, but I’d give it a chance because of positive word of mouth at Sundance.

DEC. 27

Nicholas Nickleby. Based on Charles Dickens. That’s all you need to know. Believe me.

Sonny. Since age 12, Sonny has been a prostitute, under the “watchful” eye of his mother. A disillusioned young man hoping to escape his past, he joins the army. Based on the screenwriter’s life. Directed by Nicolas Cage (sadly). Might turn out well.

Max. In 1918, a Jewish art dealer and painter develops a friendship with one of his students, a young man named Adolf Hitler. John Cusack doesn’t particularly excite me, but the guy who plays young Adolf is terrific. This movie – you can understand why – had a lot of trouble getting funded. Definitely my pick for the winter.