A clich

The ancient Babylonians celebrated New Year’s over four thousand years ago. Their celebration, however, was in March coinciding with the planting of crops in the spring. Resolutions reflected their belief that what someone did on the first day of the New Year would have an effect throughout the year.

According to Vered Neta, a trainer, success coach and online lecturer for www.inspiration2go.com, an individual traditionally makes New Year’s resolutions to become a better person.

“It’s a lot easier to get through life when you have goals,” says Matt Wright. “I know that life can be a lot more rewarding.”

His resolution is to pay more attention to relationships. “When I’m busy, I tend to ignore people. This also includes God. I kind of sever a lot of my contact when I’m studying and stuff. I tend to pay less attention to my family, friends and God, and they are all really patient with me.”

Hoping to keep his promise, the 21-year-old psychology student says the way to do this will be to rethink his priorities and take more breaks and just try to relax more.

Statistics taken from www.inspiration2go.com, however, say that most people will have broken more than 90 per cent of their resolutions by February.

An article written in the January 1999 edition of Natural Health magazine by Katherine Gallia says the majority of resolutions are broken mainly because winter is a time for resting and conserving energy, not expending it. Hibernation time means lazy time.

For some people, therefore, there is no point in making any resolutions.

“I just don’t believe in them,” says Jermaine Walker, a 21-year-old computer science student. “You’re not going to make some life-altering decision or any decision based off the calendar. I think [New Year’s resolutions] are clich