Call for submissions: Hiphop symposium

SECOND ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM ON HIPHOP CULTURE
FEBRUARY 26th until March 1st, 2003

On the Web: http://hiphop_academix.tripod.com

The Students for the Advancement of Hiphop Culture (SAHC) are proud to present the second annual Hiphop symposium. SAHC is an independent group dedicated to the study and research of all aspects of Hiphop culture. One of the SAHC’s primary objectives is to create a framework for critical exchange between members of the local Hiphop movement in an academic context.

The Hiphop Symposium is an effort to foster an environment of dialogue and debate on specific topics that are relevant to the advancement of Hiphop culture. Through the sharing of ideas and knowledge, in the form of presentations and round table discussions, education will be perpetuated throughout and beyond the Hiphop and academic communities.

The symposium will comprise of four elements: presentations by invited speakers, round table discussions, screenings and celebrations.
The Second Annual Symposium on Hiphop Culture will take place from February 26th through March 1st 2003, at Concordia University.

Suggested Topics for Presentations:
* Hiphop and feminism.
* The potential of Hiphop in Creative Art Therapy.
* Professionalization of the Street (dancer).
* The potential for the initiation of a Hiphop program of study
* Hiphop politics and contribution to social change.
* Historical perspective on Hiphop: Montreal.
* Hiphop and the importance of the peer group in youth cultures.

SAHC will accept submissions until February 1st, 2003. Proposed topics should directly relate to Hiphop. All proposals should be detailed, including bibliography, references and all materials needed. Submit via email at [email protected]. Accepted proposals and final schedule of events will be made available during the week of February 10th, 2003.

Round Table Discussions:
The general topics will be broken down into several subcategories and will be moderated by selected members of the Hiphop community. These discussions are meant to be an equal and non-hierarchical sharing of thoughts related to each topic. Anyone who wants to share their point of view is welcome regardless of their relationship to Hiphop culture.

Celebrations:
Hiphop essentially is a celebration of life and was largely born out of the need to escape the harsh reality of poverty and oppression through music, dance, poetry and art. We will be ending each evening with a diversity of parties, jams and celebrations of Hiphop Culture and Life.

Screenings:
Hiphop Culture’s contribution to cinema and theatre will be acknowledged through the screenings of selected movies. From cult movies like Wild style to blockbusters like 8 Mile, the Hiphop theme has been revisited countless times.

Institutions of higher learning are already involved in facilitating the study of Hiphop in the USA. Montreal’s Hiphop symposium, is dedicated to priming the terrain to narrow the gap between Hiphop and the academic milieu, while contributing to the voice of Montreal’s Hiphop culture. Moreover, the symposium seeks to foster a conducive environment for the initiation of a Hiphop Program of study. Among potential areas of study are electro-acoustics, multimedia, political science, sociology, anthropology, performance art, management, finance, literature, history, visual arts. While this ambitious goal is the ideal set forth by the Students for the Advancement of Hiphop Culture, it is attainable without a doubt in due time.

Join us en masse for the 2nd Annual Hiphop Symposium ! ! !

For further inquiries:

Diegal Leger
514-845-6097
[email protected]
http://hiphop_academix.tripod.com