ConU community not considered enough

Last Wednesday Rector Frederick Lowy released a report on the health and safety of students, faculty and guests that were in the Hall Building on Sept. 9. The report prepared by Susan Magor, the director of Environmental Health and Safety, shows just how unprepared the university was to have a high profile and controversial speaker like former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu. This report ultimately shows the university failed to consider the members of the Concordia community, other than the guests in H-110 and the protesters, when planning the event.

When considering the risk factor of the visit, the university had “very few individuals from the university included in the risk assessment.” This shows how the lack of input could not allow for the adequate preparation for various scenarios, which would ultimately take place.

Another telltale sign that the event was not well prepared was that the rector’s cabinet was away on a retreat and was not able to give its input into the plan. Also, the Emergency Management Team did not have any time to make modifications to the plan.

By far, the most obvious recommendation that was ignored by the administration was that, “the Director of Security [Jean Brisebois] initially advised the administration to consider an alternative location for the event, either on the Loyola campus or off-site entirely.”

The scariest thing about the report was how the university grossly underestimated the effect on students, faculty and workers that were in no way involved in either the speech or the protest.

“[After the protesters stormed the Mezzanine and started throwing furniture and objects] …the building was ordered closed. The emergency evacuation system was not activated and the general alarm was not pulled…Not having called a general alarm gave a mixed message to occupants who…could hear the noise below and felt something in the air…the contract security guards told occupants to exit by Mackay St. but…the occupants found exit doors locked, riot police present and heavy dust in the air…contract guards on the floors were unfamiliar with the building and could not guide occupants to alternate exits.”

Furthermore, students and faculty trapped in the Hall Building were exposed to pepper spray that wafted all the way up to the twelfth floor and were locked in the building for at lest ten minutes. This shows how the university in co-ordination with other security/police forces was not prepared for the possible danger of students and faculty that were on the upper levels.

In the end, Magor suggested that the Hall Building not be used at all for high-risk events, as it is impossible to secure without shutting down the building. The report highlighted just how dangerous that day could have been to students and faculty and how there was a lack of consideration for students and faculty not involved on Sept. 9.

The proof of how dangerous the events of Sept. 9 were and how low Concordia’s reputation has gone down as a result of the actions is the university’s decision to hire a public relations company, Columbia Communications to improve our image. The size of the task is huge and will take a great deal of money and time to improve. If the American government, who has hopped onto the PR bandwagon, was able to get the American people’s attention off Osama bin Laden and onto Iraq, shows how good PR can change the focus of a people’s worries.