Elatrash receives 3 year suspension

Concordia student and pro-Palestinian activist Samer Elatrash will most likely be suspended from Concordia for three years today, say sources close to the situation.

Elatrash’s hearings concerning his involvement in the violent protests that led to the cancellation of a speech by former Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu last September wrapped up last Monday. The code of rights and responsibilities, under which Elatrash was tried, calls for judgments to be rendered within 10 days of the hearings end, meaning today.

Elatrash is positive he will be found guilty of his charges, which include creating a hostile environment at the university and harassing head of university security Jean Brisebois, and suspended from Concordia. The english student said he will appeal all charges. If his appeal fails, Elatrash said he is prepared to take the university to court over what he views as a biased hearing panel and an unfair process.

Concordia’s administration has maintained that all hearings have been conducted fairly and that all students have been granted due process.

Even if Elatrash were to regain his student status at the university, he said he would not return to study at Concordia. Most likely he will move to the Middle East, he said.

Elatrash, an outspoken critic of Israeli policy towards Palestinians and a well-known figure on campus, said the university administration has created an atmosphere where student groups are forced more into bickering than actually dealing with the issues.

“I’m tired of it,” he said.