Is there job security after graduation?

We exist for the future and we strive for success. The notion that our dedication to our studies and the hard earned bucks we invest in education might be jolted by the uncertainty of the job market is enough to shatter ours dreams of professional triumph.

The favourable predictions for the Canadian economy in 2003 will provide some optimism to those not wishing to become professional students. Over the next fiscal year, 3.2 per cent economical growth is predicted, according to the Conference Board of Canada’s Canadian Outlook Winter 2003.

“Strong consumer spending, helped by 2002’s record employment growth, and the anticipated new spending in the federal government’s February budget should maintain Canada’s economic growth at a solid pace in 2003,” says Paul Darby, director of economic forecasting.

However according to a recent report done by the Royal Bank of Canada, a decline of 2,100 jobs occurred in January and employment growth was flat resulting from a 36,500 decline in the number of part-time workers offset by a gain of 34,400 in full-time workers.

“Every indicator says 2002 was an amazing year [for Canada] with the most job creation in Quebec. Montreal, being the bilingual city of Canada, had the biggest job growth in the country,” says Andr